AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can I make a living on 300 acres?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Tnfarmer
Posted 10/16/2010 20:46 (#1397007)
Subject: Can I make a living on 300 acres?

tennessee
I'm looking for ideas here. My situation is this, I own 120 acres tillable free and clear and I rent another 180 acres for row crops. I work full time at the post office as a rural carrier, been there 14 yrs. now. I'm absolutely sick of carrying mail! It's a good job and I'm thankful that I've had it all these yrs, but I'm really not getting anything out of it but a paycheck. Obviously, I farm part time as well, I want to turn that into full time asap. My kids are about grown and soon it will only be the wife and me here at home. I'm talking a 5 yr. time frame here to be self sufficient on the farm with maybe some part time work to supplement. What do ya'll think would be the best thing to get into to accomplish my goal? I'm thinking about specialty crops such as blueberries and strawberries for one source of income. Also wondering about feeding out calves???? I know I can't do it on traditional row crops. Just wondering what has worked for some of you? I would love to find something my wife and i could work at together. She has been a cosmetologist for 20 yrs. and is wanting a change also. I don't think if I could work at home that I would need anywhere near the money that I need now. I would like to net 40 to 50 K in this new job. Possible???????
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)