AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sold some calves yesterday
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

northerngrazer
Posted 2/7/2023 09:05 (#10082741)
Subject: Sold some calves yesterday

MB, Canada
They were a tricky bunch to get calved between all the blizzards, but things only got easier from there. Decided to leave them on the cows this year which the buyers clearly didn't care about. Don't feel the cows were milking much this last while but the lack of stress sure kept them healthy through this up and down winter weather we've had. Both steers and heifers were about 50 lbs lighter than I normally average but there didn't seem to be as good a return for a 750 lb calf anyways compared to either being at 650 or 800. My guess is that the weight difference is due to cows growing these calves in utero while eating barley straw and screening pellets last winter.

The owner of the auction barn said those chars were the first 6-weights to break the $3 barrier at his location this season, which I'm pretty sure means since 2015, so that was pretty cool. A group of black steers weighing 710 were $12 shy of $2000. Makes that whole 'not sleeping for more than two hours for two weeks during calving' deal a bit more tolerable in retrospect. That said, I still moved my calving date back by two weeks as a smaller calf this time of year sure isn't doing me any harm.

(20230207_084555 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20230207_084555 (full).jpg (27KB - 143 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)