AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Midwest Crops!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

westfarms
Posted 10/19/2008 00:36 (#485652)
Subject: Midwest Crops!

You all were not kidding about the late harvest. Dad and I jumped in the car Wednesday evening and drove straight through from Ohio to Soldier, IA to look at a combine. We went out on I-80 and came back across on Rt 34. I don't know what kind of percentage of crops were still standing but it was A LOT!! And so much of it still had some green in the plants. Sure hope you all get a break in the weather soon.
Oh well didn't miss much back at home since it rained Wednesday night and Thursday morning and the combine was in pieces getting repaired. It all started last Saturday when the bearings in the reverser gearbox went out. Then Monday afternoon the variable speed cylinder belt snapped. Then Tuesday night about 11:00 I finally finished some beans for an Amish neighbor, while the cylinder was making an awful "hammering" sound. I had gotten out a couple of times and tried to find the source of the sound, even cleaning the rock trap and finding nothing. Well next morning took it to the shop, blew it off and took the pressure washer to it. Finally after removing one of the filler plates off the cylinder I found the culprit. The left and middle "spiders" that the rasp bars bolt too (the left one just floats on a collar and the middle and right side are keyed and have a bolted clamp) had broken out the centers and was letting the cylinder bang up and down. So we went to a salvage yard got parts and yada, yada, yada!! Long story short it now has a new cylinder shaft, new bearings and new rasp bars, all in a combine that is possibly already sold for a price that was set before all this happened. Oh well I guess that's farming for ya!! Now if it will just stay together until my "new" used machine gets here from Iowa. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)