AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone tried Bio-N-Liven, other manure treatments?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jdflyer
Posted 10/9/2008 00:39 (#478344)
Subject: Anyone tried Bio-N-Liven, other manure treatments?

Centralia, MO
I'm searching for fertilizer options to remain profitable in this very uncertain time and I came across a manure treatment with some pretty astounding claims. I currently use irrigation applied hog manure on acreage within reach of the irrigation system and I've been pretty happy with that arrangement. That land currently tests medium to slightly high levels of P and K and I routinely plant beans with no fertilizer and corn with only added N. The problem is reaching all the rented ground with large volumes of gray water at ranges from 2 to 10 miles from the hog lagoon. I came across this product which claims to drastically increase the natural biological processing of manure. The short version of this is that supposedly my lagoon water will become so enriched that I could apply gray water as a starter fertilizer at rates of 10 - 15 gallons per acre and use this as a complete substitute for commercial fertilizer. They also suggest a benefit from further applications as foliar fertilizer throughout the growing season. The only additional fertilizer suggested in some nitrogen for corn or milo. A neighbor of mine (who is selling this product) claims to produce average milo yields with only 7 lbs additional N. They have a booklet full of test plot data over 10 years time showing cost effective yield increases over commercial fertilizers using a variety of rates and application methods. The product is not expensive. There would be an initial cost of a couple of thousand to treat the existing lagoon but after that the manure would be treated in the flush pit of the barns at a rate that would only cost a few hundred per year. They also claim that by treating the barn pit I will see a reduction in odor and flies and a healthier air quality in the barn. Basically all this sounds too good to be true but a lot of their sales spiel sounds logical and seems to make sense. They include many testimonials and test plot results. However, my basic reaction to this kind of product is that if it really worked so well, why hasn't the whole world discovered it and adopted it. So how bout it?

Edited by jdflyer 10/9/2008 11:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)