AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

"take-all" (Gaeumannomyces graminis) in wheat questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 9/20/2008 19:42 (#465271)
Subject: "take-all" (Gaeumannomyces graminis) in wheat questions.

Hi all. I am in need of some education with the causes and preventions of "take all" in wheat. I was under the impression that decomposing stubble IN the soil, *tilled in* was the most likely carrier of the disease. Now I read this.
""" Importance: Take-all is widespread in monocropped areas and has been known to cause considerable yield losses in winter wheat and fall-sown spring wheat areas, especially where liming or minimum tillage is practiced. """

Which came from this site. http://wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/wheatpests.html#takeall

So,...............now I'm lost. *yes I know,....again* I was hoping using no-till methods would help slow or even eliminate the risk of take all since the stubble would be on top of the soil, and for the most part, standing. What's your opinions on this?

If there has been no wheat in the rotation of a field for say 18 years or so, and I were to want to follow a spring wheat crop with a fall wheat, (both soft white) would my risk of take all be as strong as if it were a standard rotation?

The field in question is slightly acid. Maybe in the high 5s somewhere. Have'nt tested it for a few years. Is there any chemical cures or preventatives that work? I'm going to plant on the early side and treat for yellow dwarf.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Old Pokey 9/20/2008 19:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)