AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Harvestore chain life: Anyone recomend a good chain?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 7/22/2008 21:37 (#420258)
Subject: Harvestore chain life: Anyone recomend a good chain?

northeastern Ohio

I am having a terrible time with conveyor chains in my 25x90 harvestore.  Does anyone have an aftermarket chain that they would recommend? 

Here is the history:  It was built in 1998 and I filled it with corn silage.  Stuck a rebuilt goliath in it with aftermarket chains and hooks and could not get the arm to go around.  I fought it for 3 months.   The aftermarket hooks were not aligned properly and therefore did not dig very well.   So I took out the aftermarket hooks and installed genuine hooks.  It worked beautifully!!!

The aftermarket chains with the genuine hooks lasted 3 years.  I replaced with genuine chains and hooks.  One year later the conveyor chain developed cracks at the ends of about 12 of the sidebars and of course one broke.  I turned it for warranty.  The next chain lasted a year and had the same problem.  Again I warrantied.  The next chain lasted 3 years.

It is now January 2006 and the rebuilt unloader is in need of rebuilding again.  So I decide to purchase a brand new Alliance unloader with an oiler system.  The conveyor chain lasted until January 2008 and broke.  I only found one crack in the sidebar (the one that broke).  So I repaired and reinstalled.  July 2008 the conveyor chain breaks again.  I can only find one crack, but I am disappointed and would like to put a new chain in before I do another digout.

I did a quick websearch and did find a company that is offering an "improved" chain.  They are using a cast block link and thicker sidebars with stainless pins.  It sounds good on paper, but I would like to hear from any users.  The company is QPI and they are located in Milladore Wisconsin.  Anyone deal with this company?

Harvestore is still using Jeffery chains and the aftermarket company in our area using REX chains.  What other ones are out there?  Thanks.    

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)