AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Side dress options.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pofarmer
Posted 6/10/2008 23:22 (#394780)
Subject: Side dress options.

I've got 30 acres of corn that is better than boottop high. We didn't get the full rate of N on with the planter, and I would like to go in and sidedress it. Now, the problem is, it's wet, and I mean good and wet. Also , they are calling for a 60% chance of rain again Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday. If we get that, I'm afraid it is going to outgrow me. I would like to use NH3, but I'm pretty sure that I can't get the knives through without major sealing problems, and I'd be concerned about plugging closers, if that is even an option. I priced 32%, but it's $.80, and so is urea. The liquid sidedress rigs available around here all run on single 11L-15's, and don't do so good in the mud. I'm also going to leave an open slot with the coulter injectors. I hate that. I've seen those slots open up in August and you can see a slot just loaded with roots as deep as you run. That can't be good. So, I'm thinking about broadcasting Urea. Would you just go straight urea, and figure on getting the rain, or put Agro-tain with it? Not sure of the cost. Heck, as damp as the ground is, I'm really not sure if it matters. Just looking for opinions. I've about decided on broadcasting urea. I might be able to get some Ammonium Nitrate, but it will have to come from a good distance. Urea is much simpler. I might, and I stress might, be able to stream 32% on with the sprayer, but I'd have to cap every other nozzle and find some drops. I have drops for the old style threaded nozzle bodies, but not the quickjets. I might be able to borrow some from my supplier.

Edited by Pofarmer 6/10/2008 23:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)