AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can we stand one more lawn mower question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

guypatrick
Posted 4/18/2008 22:58 (#360955)
Subject: Can we stand one more lawn mower question?

North central, IA
We have a couple of zero turn mowers. One out front and one mid-mount. Neither is very big or very new. We are going to be mowing more lawn this year so I think its time to move up in both reliability and size. (It is really disheartening to come home late in the evening after a day of haying or fencing or sweeping bins and see the lawn mower stranded in the middle of a half-mown lawn and it seems like everybody in the family can figure out how to break a mower but only dad (me) can fix them.) . My wife has a distinct preference for the front-mount mower which I think around here pretty much limits the selection to Grasshopper.

Anyway, after a long-winded introduction here's the real question - should I be considering a "near zero-turn" rear steer machine like a Toro, a Ransomes, or a Deere? It looks like I could buy a bigger machine with fewer hours for the same or less money. Obviously they can't turn as sharp but after mowing a few rounds of headlands will they turn short enough? We go around quite a few trees and obstacles. After running a true zero-turn mower for several years would this be a step backward?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)