AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A Brief View at Feeders.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 2/7/2008 07:36 (#303367)
Subject: A Brief View at Feeders.

A quick overview in feeder cattle.

In 2007 65.9% of the July 1 Other heifer Inventory was killed in the 3rd & 4th quarters compared to 63.76% in 2006

In 2003, for example, we killed 57.18% of the Jan 1 Other heifer inventory in the 1st & 2nd Qtrs & in 2005 this rate declined to 50.44% & last year bumped up slightly to 51.41%

Feeder cattle outside of feedlots calculates to 28.308 mil. Head vs. 28.242 a year ago.

Our 4th year of a calculated calf crop below 38 mil. Head.

When I look at these numbers I see nothing building which concerns me.

Overview.
The trimmings market is the key to fed cattle prices. Beef, since the big liquidation in the 75-76 period has become very inelastic due to the expansion of fast food & the consumer preference for lean meat.

Therefore, in grinder formulations when the cow kill declines & it is necessary to reach into fed cattle supplies for chucks –fed cattle prices will experience very strong prices.

In periods of herd liquidation, and the cow and overall non-fed kill increases the trimmings market is pressured & removes the price gloss from fed cattle.

Regardless of ivory tower rhetoric-university analysts-beef is a supply oriented market. Demand is a residual number as we either eat or store whatever we produce.

Concerns & front burner issues:

The profitability of feeding cattle
Pasture conditions.
Herd liquidation.
Economic deflation
Convert hay & grazing land suitable for row crop.

All of the above are possible motivations for herd liquidation.

I have twice bought feeders in the past six weeks, stopped myself out of the market once & am now confident the bottom may be in, except not yet 100% in view of high feed costs.

I think the breeding herd is in strong hands & if we do see herd liquidation it will be brief. Any significant price decline in the distant futures options is, in my opinion, a buying opportunity. Particularly in view of inflationary prospects.

For a variety of reasons (i r s) I prepare my own research & trade in a separate entity & have an extensive meat data base & have a staff of one (me) & am working on an overall meat scenario & not sure when I will be completed but will be happy to email a copy when finished.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)