AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Purebred/Fullblood Simmental heifer questions..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Habbernator
Posted 1/4/2012 00:07 (#2141944)
Subject: Purebred/Fullblood Simmental heifer questions..

Evening All - With some family health issues last year we didnt get our heifers bred and they could be registered as purebloods but I havnt kept up the papers for the same reason. We usually sell for slaughter anyhow and raise from birth to death. With these open heifers Im in a bind with current feed prices. I may have the opportunity to have them carry calves (embryo transfer) for another farmer but Im not sure what to charge for caring for his calves basically in my cows....Debating if I want to sell the heifers for slaughter or if it may be better to do the transfer and get the cows cycled back in with the rest of the herd next year. We had a different bull that produced these calves and they dont quite meet our genetic (size wise...good body and frame but smaller than we like) goals.

Any advice? Never done embryo transfer and no outside cattle have been introduced into this herd in over 10 years (likely closer to 20 but I just cant remember off hand at the moment). If someone is interested we are in Central Minnesota and they may be for sale as we really dont want to slaughter them and they may make a good herd of cattle for someone.

TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)