AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new calving cycle talk
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 1/3/2012 21:33 (#2141589)
Subject: new calving cycle talk

North Mo.
I put 2 options to the OSU cow calculator not saying it is gospel but has food for thought here are results

1 option cows calved 06/01 calves weaned 11/01 goals cows fed from 11/1 to 4/1 starting at 5 bcs to finish at 4.5 bcs fed 26 # of stockpile the est. ADG would be .87 or 93 days to gain 93#. In other words one could leave the calves on them pretty much through the winter.

2 option cows same everything EXCEPT the BCS started at 5 on 11/01 and needed to end up at 5.5 at calving date and the calving date was Feb 1 with a weaning of 11/01 the est ADG was a -.41 and took 184 days to loose 1 BCS. I have been told cows need to be gaining when calving.
If one wants go on google and look up cow calculator from OSU I feel it is a neat program. I would suspect weather might be more critical on the poor cow calving in Feb. Also extremely hot weather calving in June would not be good either. However I'd bet on more funky weather in Feb than in early June at our latitude. On top of that the cow calving in 06/01 is bred last of Aug early Sept. By that time a bull should be condition to hot weather.
Ben
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)