AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

any advice on working with aging fathers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 10/17/2010 23:34 (#1398510)
Subject: any advice on working with aging fathers

Rivers, MB
My dad is 64 and farms with my brother (31) and myself (35). Still quite healthy but tires faster than he used to (which is expected at that age). Is very safe with equipment. the concern is with the increasing amount of technology in the equipment. After 5 years with an Outback GPS system, still struggles at times to set an AB line. We picked the Outback partially because of the simplicity of the system. this fall, at his urging, we put in autosteer into both combines so that it was not as tiresome harvesting for 12 hour stretches. At the end of the season, was still struggling with the concept of snapping a line or setting a straight line using a heading. Still asks how to change the swath width. Is surprisingly cautious about trying new equipment or seems to need a fairly long length of time to relearn tasks/jobs that are seasonal.

He has never been computer literate and i suspect, never will be. He is getting a bit hard of hearing and so communicating with him on cell phone/2way radio is becoming a bit challenging at times.

Any hints or ideas as to how to teach a dad or any older person for that matter, that is still very much part of the farm how to use technology more and to do jobs that require numerous steps? Do lists with step by step instructions help? An example might help. We started fertilizing this week. we are applying NH3 and liquid fertilizer. When the machine gets to the field, the NH3 valves need to be opened, the chain for the liquid fert pump needs to put on, the main valve for the liquid tank needs to be opened and a valve needs to be opened on all 5 distribution pots for the liquid system and then the NH3 rate needs to be entered into the raven controller. Would it be helpful to have a check list?

to those of you who are the older generation of a similar farm setup, would this be seen as demeaning? or what have you found helpful?

I know i get frustrated at times when he struggles with tasks that to me seem simple. i know he is frustrated with himself as well. Looking for tips or advice to make things run smoother.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)