AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A COMMENT OR THREE
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 3/2/2010 17:40 (#1101643)
Subject: A COMMENT OR THREE

Took the spouse out to lunch today.

She asked me, "why do you do this?"

My answer. "Not sure. Perhaps some of my favorite memories are of cultivating corn. Then in the Fall, having dad show me how to pick the end rows with a corn picker's glove (by hand). My life is on the downside end ..."be realistic honey, I am an old man" ...." and as typical of old folks memories are important."

Besides trading, I do have several old relationships, mostly overseas for which I share research. They find the perspective somewhat important compared to just opinion about the market. My long term motto: Facts are the map, the market reflects the opinion. Facts, in the long run, are valuable.

Nothing can replace the fragrance of freshly mown alfalfa...or freshly turned earth ...or even a manure pile in the winter...hauling the manure out on frozen fields in a small manure spreader with a B Farmall Tractor... feeder cattle waiting for some hay bales..a few horses in the barn waiting for their dose of oats ..the coldness of the well house fighting with the milk separator ....then washing it. Those are my memories and I cherish them. Most of the folks on the Ag Forum are a family of sorts.. I can feel their pain in some instances,..understand their concerns, recognize their wish to know more about their craft, but in many respects, from my experience, they are too innocent in some respects. I have enjoyed a bountiful life beyond my early dreams, whatever I can contribute is okay.

I always in my brokerage career, took 'care of' the employees in the back office. For example, a good relationship with the accountant cut thru a lot of red tape if a problem was involved ...$100 bills on the holidays & this was apparently unusual as these people would confide in me. On one weekend many years ago, a young back office boy, very sharp, visited our home for the weekend bringing his girl friend along...& I was amazed about his various comments.

Quite a few prominent politicians, have aunts & uncles who have profitable futures accounts. Thankfully, I have forgotten all of those names. I am reminded of this because of the recent article about the Madoff whistle blower.

Some of the folks my age share my thoughts, some of the young guys don't quite grasp not being able to invite school classmates over because your bathroom was an outhouse and the toilet paper was a Sears or Montgomery Wards catalog and I was ashamed about it. But, on Ag Forum we agree or disagree openly, pulling no punches, and I enjoy the atmosphere as I have been blessed in many ways. I learn a great deal from Ag Forum.

What I do find on Ag Forum are folks of principle. Folks of the earth who are true environmentalists (forget Al Gore), folks who are concerned about their children, their grandchildren and about the future of this great country. Life is a giant grey area, but some of us do recognize some things are right and some are wrong...unfortunately we are a minority.

My theory & possible plan will not be popular with some folks. The spouse and I are headed for Panama for a few days. There will be no change in the website or newsletter or my trading due to the miracle of modern communications.

In 2005, a fellow from the NWest USA and a good fellow from Panama offered me $$$$$K to structure a deal for them to package a property development in Panama. I rejected the offer as it would be too time intensive. But, I did perform some initial due diligence about Panama. I learned their constitution is USA oriented, they offer considerable tax benefits for senior citiizens as long as the person can evidence some financial wherewithal.

I am very disappointed in our country. I remain patriotic. I remain hopeful. I remain alert to opportunity except I am tired of the hassle.

Therefore, we are going down for a couple of weeks to look around but all of our usual activities will remain as normal.

Edited by SeniorCitizen 3/3/2010 06:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)