AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Completely Meaningless Rhetoric from an old person
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SeniorCitizen
Posted 12/20/2009 20:15 (#976919)
Subject: Completely Meaningless Rhetoric from an old person

Many, many years ago I was fortunate to have a distinguished Iowa Ag Professor within my circle of friends. On a few occasions we were on identical meeting programs & two memories come to mind. His wife, a futures trader, taught me the fundamental fine points of bar charting and long term trading. I owe her a lot & I miss her (deceased). She bought a new Lincoln Continental each year from her trading account. One particular meeting is a memory which floats, occasionally, through my mind; his wife, one of my mentors, attended a meeting with him and he introduced her (he attended Texas A&M in his college years) by saying "I married _____ as she was a West Texas girl, therefore I knew she'd 'seen it all' (in desperate economic terms) and knew she would be a keeper."

I too, have seen a lot. I've had some trades on the good side which would send electricity up your spine and some "flame outs" which would send most folks to a therapist or into the local ER & the wife to divorce court (I have a keeper). I have been in a couple of situations where I absolutely could not get out of a position, I've been in a couple in which I would not let the other side out. I had one trade which led to an "awakening" on 'how to trade' whereby I had to scrape pennies together one morning to buy gas to get downtown & those were the days when an attendant put the gas in your car.....it was the low point in my trading career ( having to give a service station attendant a handful of change to pay for gas while driving a Luxury auto). I always have learned the hard way, but still today, I believe it is still the best way to learn.

We have younger children and older children. All of them are achievers and bright. THERE IS a different MINDSET. A glaringly different mindset. Things will CHANGE in a few years.

I have spent considerable time analyzing the demand side: meat.

My BIAS: I have zero respect for expert opinion as I have met several and have detected a blind spot in most or a hidden agenda. MONEY speaks. I much prefer to relate to folks who actually THINK or folks who've been on the Firing Line.

This weekend I graciously (I think) removed self from marketing & joined the spouse in looking for a lamp (unsuccessful) & read some parts of some old literature from my library.

Politics have always been corrupt.
The older generation seldom has faith in the younger generation.
I do have faith in the younger generation.
Big Government is BAD.
Regardless of the party, (speaking as a life long conservative Republican) both are the same. It is revolt time (in regard to tradition).

My conclusions- Watch the Money. Price, in the long run, Reveals.

NOW--We are on a different horse. We are in a cycle of which I am discomforted.

We are flooded with information and opinion.

How do I see things?

Be cautious, but sell when the market tells you 'it wants the stuff.' (Basis)
SA weather becomes important in January
China is buying soybeans with the intent to take all & not cancel.
Corn export projections are slightly understated.
Be careful with the Funds when they get too bullish.
The final crop report could be a surprise (real evidence in the stocks report).

Public opinion is swinging much too rapidly to believe in stability. Obama was elected to CHANGE. The public is already disillusioned. The real world fact is "no President can change anything..." It is Congress and the established bureaucracies. Means to me, the public is ready to grab ahold of anyone who can promise change. History suggests this is a danger sign. The public is generally uninformed as to the real world, is fickle, and will race to anyone they think will solve their problems.

When, in fact, the problem is US (face in mirror).

Edited by SeniorCitizen 12/20/2009 20:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)