AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Year Update - Off Farm Job Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

bustedknuckles52
Posted 5/3/2024 13:52 (#10727427)
Subject: Year Update - Off Farm Job Advice

NE Ohio

Well, it's been just over a year since I asked for advice on switching up day jobs. I thought I'd give a little update. Original Post. Viewing a thread - Off Farm Job Advice (newagtalk.com)

I
 interviewed for the new engineering position a few days after posting here. A few days after that I got a job offer. After even more heavy deliberation I decided I was going to accept the new position. I was careful through the entire process to not leave any hints for my employer to pick up that I was looking for a new job.

The day I decided to accept the new job (hadn't officially accepted yet) my manager called me into his office and I got the promotion that I had been waiting on. Talk about a curve ball and another heavy wave of stress. I went home and talked it over with the wife. I don't think either one of us slept at all that night. I ended up deciding to still take the new job and tender my resignation the next day, May 2. 

They were completely caught off guard and slightly upset. I gave 5 weeks in my resignation to allow them time to find a replacement for me. As that 5 weeks progressed it became gradually clearer to me that I had made the correct decision. My official start date was June 5, 2023 and I began to feel a little relief. Unfortunately, it was short lived.

On May 12, 2023 my Dad unexpectedly passed away. To their credit, both jobs were extremely understanding and supportive of my family and myself. But it was still a rough last few weeks at the old job. I could work there on auto pilot and it just gave me too much time to think. I was kinda glad to get out of that office. I needed a change and the new job was a relief. The new challenges and learning a new world kept my mind busy for a few months and I needed that. 

In a month I will have been here at the new job a year. I am definitely glad I made the jump and I do wish I had done it sooner. Life is slowly starting to get back on track from last May. Having a day job that I actually enjoy going to has made things easier. I couldn't imagine grieving and still going to a place I hated every day.

Thanks for all of the advice and support that I received a year ago, it did help to push me in the right direction.

Last picture anyone got. 5/4/2023 Dad checking out the 3020 that my brother and I had just bought. 

(20230504_190409 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20230504_190409 (full).jpg (311KB - 66 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)